The Beginners Guide to Selling on Mercari
Have you wanted to start selling on Mercari but didn’t know how? Maybe you have wanted to expand your income streams and cross post your inventory elsewhere, but didn’t know where. Mercari may be a great choice for you!
Mercari can be a great place to sell items that are common, everyday things. I have had good success with it, especially for household items or toys that would not be worth my time to list on a platform like ebay. The difference between listing time with Mercari is that it has less options for shipping and less boxes to fill out.
In fact, when I am listing an item on ebay on my desktop, I just open a new tab with Mercari. I then add photos to both, then copy and paste the description from ebay to Mercari. It’s super quick and easy. This gives me several extra sales a month.
There are also items that I list on Mercari that I would not list on ebay. Some things are better suited. It’s a great platform to use to sell items lying around your house, even if you’re not going to use it as a part of your business model.
What is Mercari?
Mercari is a selling app much like ebay or Poshmark. The listing process is much simpler. There are fewer boxes to fill out, and shipping is easier.
You can sell pretty much anything on Mercari. It can be especially helpful for less expensive items because the listing process is quicker.
How to get started with the Mercari app:
Click here to open an account on Mercari and get a $10 credit. It’s super easy! Then, download the app on your phone. You can list from your computer or your phone. I prefer the desktop version because I can list on ebay and on Mercari at the same time. I just transfer the photos from my phone to my computer and then drag and drop.
After creating your account, start looking up items that you want to sell and filter by sold listings to find prices. You’ll find several boxes with lots of different filters.
Tips for Success in Making Money on Mercari
Mercari has been a great place for me to sell those items that are not exactly ebay worthy but not something I’d want to put in a garage sale. I don’t mind selling lower dollar items, especially if they are easy to ship, because the listing process on Mercari is so quick and easy.
Here are my top tips for selling on Mercari:
- Price your items higher than what you think you can get for them. Mercari buyers like to send offers and haggle. You can also send offers to the people who like your items.
- Avoid listing high priced items as Mercari customer service is hard to reach and sometimes buyers don’t have the best reputation.
- Don’t overlook common items like toys, even if they are not super popular anymore.
- Take good, clear photos and show all flaws.
- Describe your items well.
- Offer free shipping (while increasing the price to compensate) where it makes sense. Use Pirate Ship to create your labels to save money and make your listings more attractive to buyers.
Common Questions/FAQ About Selling on Mercari
How much does it cost to sell on Mercari?
There are no listing fees on Mercari like there are on ebay. Mercari takes 10% of your sales price. Beginning October 1, 2020, they will also add a 2.9% + $0.30 payment processing fee. It also costs $2 to process direct deposits under $10 and a 2% fee for direct deposits rejected by your bank.
There are no listing fees & the 10% selling fees makes it a great alternative to selling on ebay.
How many items can you sell on Mercari?
I cannot find an official number on Mercari’s website for a listing limit. The number circulating around online is 100. I have never hit that number so I am not sure.
Does Mercari report your sales to the IRS?
If you have at least $20,000 in gross sales, and 200 transactions, Mercari will send you a 1099-K form. Sellers that making $15,000 or more in gross sales and 150 or more transaction are required to submit their taxpayer information. Mercari’s official policies can be found here.
Keep in mind that just because you did not sell enough to get a 1099-K, it does not mean that you are not required to report your income to the IRS.
Do you need PayPal to sell on Mercari?
No, you do not need a Paypal account. Mercari has their own system of payments and deposits that does not require PayPal.
Where does the money go when you sell on Mercari?
The money goes to an “account” and is held until the buyer rates you, much like Poshmark. If the buyer does not rate you within three days, Mercari will give you a rating so that you get paid. After your buyer rates, you need to rate them. You can then cash out your balance, and have it direct deposited into your checking account.
Most direct deposits take 5 business days to appear. Transfers under $10 will be charged a $2 fee.
My advice is to cash out as soon as you hit the $10 threshold. I only say this because I have heard of accounts being closed without explanation, and the seller never getting their money. This has happened across multiple platforms, not just Mercari.
Who pays for shipping on Mercari?
Buyers can offer free shipping or they can charge for shipping using Mercari’s structured shipping plan. If you choose Mercari’s shipping service, they will email you a label that can be printed on a half-sheet label.
Pros & Cons of Selling on Mercari
- It’s an additional platform to sell items on.
- Listings can be done quickly.
- Shipping is easier if you use their shipping labels.
- Labels can be purchased for USPS, UPS & Fedex.
- UPS labels comes with a pack & ship service. You just drop it off at a UPS store.
- Sellers can offer better prices (in most cases) if they buy labels from Pirate Ship.
- Mercari buyers have a bit of a bad reputation, and it is a bit more garage sale-ish than ebay.
- Customer service can be sketchy and hard to get in touch with.
- Items may not sell for as much as they do on ebay.
- There are no multi-quantity listings.
- You cannot combine shipping on two items.
The Last Thing You Need to Know about Selling on Mercari
Success on Mercari is the same as it is for other platforms.
To be successful on Mercari you must:
- Source profitable items
- Take clear photos
- Price correctly
- Package well
- Provide excellent customer service
- List consistently